4.17.2006

humanism, tv turnoff, yellow reactions

A fellow Stuyster (self-admitted biased towards Christianity) expressed his opinion on how the Christian worldview in the context of modern globalism is “basically the only worldview that works at all levels (philosophical, emotional and spiritual)”. My first reaction to reading this statement was to restrain myself from having an outright disagreement and remember to practice if not full acceptance, but tolerance at the very least, of others’ right to their respective belief systems. My second thought was, if I were to reject this statement completely, then I would be denying that aspect of all my Christian friends, and that would be a disservice to them. My third thought, I’m analyzing this way too much.

However, his post did enlighten me to the other branches of faiths, as characterized by Os Guiness (and I think it’s safe to say, by
Christians at large): Eastern religions - Buddhism, Hinduism, New Age thought; the secular family of faiths - atheism, naturalism, and secular humanism; and the biblical family of faiths – Judaism, Christianity and Islam. This triggered a curiosity about the secular faiths, for I’ve always regarded what’s considered secular as a non-faith. I mean, how can it be considered a faith, if there’s no deity or figure to remain faithful towards? Perhaps the faith is not towards a person, but faith towards a philosophy. I’ve always found that most agreeable, but that’s a matter of semantics and interpretation.

Anyhoot, here are wiki-links to
humanism, naturalism, and atheism explained. I find the Humanist Manifesto vaguely similar to my own modified version of Buddhism. I know it’s bad practice to cherry pick beliefs, but it’s the current state of my constantly changing worldview.

Excerpts from the Humanist Manifesto III:
Life’s fulfillment emerges from individual participation in the service of humane ideals. We aim for our fullest possible development and animate our lives with a deep sense of purpose, finding wonder and awe in the joys and beauties of human existence, its challenges and tragedies, and even in the inevitability and finality of death. Humanists rely on the rich heritage of human culture and the lifestance of Humanism to provide comfort in times of want and encouragement in times of plenty.

Humans are social by nature and find meaning in relationships. Humanists long for and strive toward a world of mutual care and concern, free of cruelty and its consequences, where differences are resolved cooperatively without resorting to violence. The joining of individuality with interdependence enriches our lives, encourages us to enrich the lives of others, and inspires hope of attaining peace, justice, and opportunity for all.

* * *
Next week is
TV Turnoff Week. Turning off the TV’s not so hard for me, as I’m likely to cheat by going to the other box: my PC. I don’t watch that much TV to begin with, being that I spend a lot more time (than before) in the kitchen and cleaning around the house, and I’m not happy about that!

* * *
Outrage in response to Adidas’ Yellow Series kicks, and a more deliberate response.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home